Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Riding Bikes

A continuation of 'Ryker and Emma'

We had returned from Emmett and it was time to return to the real life of college courses and homework.  Loads of homework. Thoughts of Ryker and Emma frequently returned causing me to miss them. I hadn't seen Izac all weekend due to the funerals, so he asked me to go to lunch with him. We went to Nielson's Frozen Custard and then took our food across the street to the park.


Porter Park-Rexburg, Idaho

It was gorgeous outside! No wind, (which does not happen very often in East Idaho), the sun was shining and it was the perfect day for a picnic in the park with one extremely cute boy! Before we knew it one hour had passed, then two, then three hours had passed and I was pushing it to make it to class on time. We talked and enjoyed each other's company. He seemed to have interest in me and I definitely was diggin him! I was dating a phenomenal guy and I didn't want things to ever turn sour. In so many ways it seemed too good to be true.

We decided to keep attending country dancing; so we went again on Wednesday to learn more dances, steps and moves.

Thursday was a new day and brought new adventures. Izac liked to ride bikes. I liked to ride bikes. He had a 'Specialized Bike'. I had a 'Specialized Bike'. One difference, however, was that mine was a road bike and his was a mountain bike.

At the time, I liked to think of myself as a pretty fit person. I frequently went on runs or bike rides and worked out. Izac had told me that he liked to workout and ride bikes but he hadn't been able to find time for it. Thursday we decided to go on a bike ride together. We were going to do a 14 mile loop that I knew of that went up some pretty good hills but also had some pretty good views.

In my head I thought more than once; 'I hope that he can keep up...' I may have been a little prideful about my being 'fit'. I had been running and biking hills a lot and he hadn't really worked out at all. I had this one in the bag. It was my time to really impress this guy with my speed road bike skills; and plus I had a road bike and he had a mountain bike... (If you don't know much about bikes, road bikes are way fast on pavement. A lot faster than mountain bikes are. They can fly, I got mine going 30 miles per hour once.)

I rode to his apartment and we started up the first hill. Temple hill. It is the steepest, longest part of the hills. We both were feeling the desire to exercise and enjoy the nice day so we started off pretty hard. My legs started burning as we pushed our physical strength up the ever long hill. I was in the lead but not for long. Before I knew it, Izac had passed me; and he had passed me going a pretty decent pace. I tried harder to push those pedals around with my legs but anything I tried I just couldn't catch him up that hill. My legs simply could not do it.

Izac knew that I worked out frequently and it was obvious that I was riding a road bike. So when he beat me to the top of the hill my self-esteem was diminishing. 'How?'  I was asking in my head. 'He can't do that...' I did that stuff way more than him... 'I should be beating him up the hill.' (I may have a little bit of competitive nature...) 

Well so much for impressing him with my speed road bike skills. That clearly wasn't happening. In my journal this is what I wrote "He actually kept up really well (my turn to be impressed) and was ahead of me for part of the way."

As we kept pedaling, we went up a few more hills; these ones weren't quite as steep and we stayed pretty close together. Finally, the road leveled out and I was able to pull ahead of him. Yay me!! My self-esteem was picking back up and was boosted even more when I really beat him going down hill. I got going so fast on the down hill that I almost scared myself. I sure do love to feel my heart beat with physical exercise and the wind blowing my hair back. It is a real satisfying feeling. I was feeling pretty good about being able to beat him on the flat parts and down hill sections but the up hill is what I really had wanted to impress him on. It just wasn't my day for that.  

At this time I also wrote this in my journal "I really like him... He is so sweet." I was falling for him. Fast.

Lately it had seemed that I couldn't get anything right that I wanted to to impress him with. I cried the first night we really met, I couldn't shoot worth a darn, I tried cuddling in too close way to early, and I couldn't beat him up the steep hill on a road bike. Was I trying too hard? Did I just look foolish to him? 



I still like to be critiqued in any way :) help me out! And if you like my writing tell your family about it! The more to critique the better :) myblondespot.blogspot.com

I got the picture at http://abc.eznettools.net/rexburg/thingstodo/parkstrails/parkscity/PPAutumn01.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment