Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

The Stars

A Continuation of 'Riding Bikes'

That Friday night our stake put on a 50 lap ward relay. The theme was 70's. Izac choose an orange and brown vest with an orange hat; and I decided on a bright flowery dress thing. We talked and socialized with our friends making a good time out of it. We each ran two laps and cheered each other on while running. 


 Us and one of Izac's roommates at the race.

Izac running with a fake gun.

After running and participating in some fun, we went back to my apartment. It was getting dark and the stars were coming out. It was going to be a beautiful, clear night; perfect to go star gazing. That is just what Izac and I decided to do. We hopped in the Bronco and drove to find an ideal spot to gaze at one of my favorite of God's creations together.

Our decided destination was a church at the top of the hill that had some good grass that we could lay on. We were there looking at the stars; enjoying the nearness of each other and the conversation we shared. It was a real pleasant time being close to Izac and sharing with him my fascination with the stars. My heart rate was elevated at being by him and I was one happy girl. 

Both of us were innocently relishing the moment; doing nothing to jeopardize our chastity; when a truck pulled up. . .

My nervous system increased my already elevated heart rate, wondering who it was and what they wanted. To be quite frank, I was nervous. The truck drove by real close, and shined their lights on us. I wasn't sure what to do or think. I was kind of freaking out inside. Izac said to just stay there; I think that he felt me tense up with worry. Their lights were shining on us and a couple of girls hollered out asking for our I-cards (our identification that we were students at BYU-Idaho). Izac told me to ignore them. I did as he asked but I couldn't stop myself from worrying. After a minute or two of us ignoring them they finally left. I think Izac felt me relax next to him because he grabbed my hand. 

Not five minutes later, another truck pulled in to the church parking lot. I couldn't stop myself from tensing up again. I knew that we weren't doing anything unacceptable, but I was beginning to wonder whether coming to the church was a good idea or not. This truck was a big truck; it had more that one aftermarket part on it. Before they even came close, we could hear the loud, vulgar music blaring from the truck. 

I knew this time that I just had to ignore them like I had the last truck. We guessed that it was another truck full of loud mouth teenagers. Izac and I both stayed where we were not saying anything, waiting to see what they were going to do. They pulled up to the curb and one of the immature high school boys in the truck rolled down the window and hollered out "have sex, it feels soooo good." I heard that and I was appalled! I am pretty sure my jaw dropped. . .

Izac and I hadn't even shared our first kiss. The deep inner motherly side of me wanted to find these boys' mothers' and tell them what their boys were up to. We were in Rexburg for heaven sakes!   

Our annoyance at these kids was displayed in both of our temperaments. We were just trying to look at the stars together and every childish teenager in Rexburg was trying to ruin it. In all honesty they were doing a pretty good job. I was thinking more about the incidents than I was the stars. Izac mentioned to me that they were both driving 'daddy's' truck. Finally, after we kept ignoring them, they drove off. 

We didn't get much star gazing in before it was time to go. Both of us talked about how disappointed we were in the people that visited us. We talked about each individually wanting to someday raise kids with a lot better values and respect than that. 

We had just got in the Bronco and were starting to leave the parking lot, when the same big truck drove directly in front of our line of sight and a kid stuck his bare naked butt out the window at us. Where is the decency?  


Feel free to comment or critique :)

No comments:

Post a Comment