Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Pre-Beginning of Us Continued

A continuation of 'The Pre-Beginning of Us'

There was multiple of things and people running through my head... Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandmas, Grandpas, and Friends. All passed through my thoughts in the 30 seconds while I waited for my dad to gain composure and tell us what had happened.
 My dad continued to tell us that my cousin (who is very close to my age) and his daughter (two years old) had been boating last night...

And that the boat had turned over... 

My dad started crying in anticipation of what he was about to tell us, which made my tears well up and spill over. My dad is a rather big burly bald looking man with facial hair and a beard and just seeing him affected this way made me so. 


He emotionally continued on to tell us that they had found little Emma's body on the shore. 

She was dead. 

He then told us that they hadn't found Ryker's body as yet...

There wasn't a dry eye in the room. Many of us were asking why? and holding on to hope that Ryker would soon be found...

Memories of the two of them filled my mind and I couldn't stop them flowing, almost with the same swift pace as my tears.
My dad had gained some composure and continued to tell us that he and my mom had been up most of the night talking to each other and family. We all came to the conclusion that my mom hadn't received adequate rest in preparation for her race.

I knew that the mind games had to be playing in her head... I couldn't believe that she was still going to do it...

First: She is scared of water. With the news of a relative drowning fresh on her mind, this was going to be no easy task.

Second: She maybe got three hours of sleep. (Not nearly enough to compete in a 1/2 triathlon if your asking me...) 

I was really hoping that she would finish and finish strong. I knew that if she had to quit early this would be the end of her trying to conquer the water. 

The swim was the first event. So at least she would get the worst over with. The thought crossed my mind more that once that if it was me in her shoes I don't know if I could do it knowing what had happened the night before. (and I have taken swimming lessons...) I didn't want to doubt, but I kept wondering was she going to make it?



No comments:

Post a Comment